Friday, April 3, 2009

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

I've been wanting to make magnetic board (aka cookie sheet) more appealing for a while and didn't know what I wanted to do. We have magnetic letters and numbers and wanted to find something fun to do with them. I found this idea somewhere on the internet. I can't remember where (sorry) but thought what a fun way to talk about letters and numbers.
We made a tree from our magnetic board to go along with the books, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Chicka Chicka 1 2 3 by Bill Martin Jr.

First we painted! Of course, Cameron loved that part!!

We painted one big piece of paper brown and one green. I wanted Cameron to paint the whole paper one color but he wanted to use his hands instead so I let him do that and I painted two papers. I cut a trunk out of brown and four leaves out of green. After it was assembled and glued, this is how it looked on the magnetic board (aka cookie sheet). Here's the finished project! I had the magnetic letters and numbers so here it is finished. What we did was: I lined up the alphabet in order because Cameron doesn't know all of his letters yet. If you had a child that knew his letters than you could just mix them all up. I would read a page of the book and he would put the letters or 123 on the board. Here's from the first pages. It goes like this, "A told B and B told C, I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree." It is really cute and Cameron had fun trying to get all the letters on the top. Sorry, I can't figure out how to turn my picture. Here's the Chicka Chicka 1 2 3. We only used 1-10 though. Maybe the older he gets, we'll try higher.

No comments: